Friday, October 22, 2010

General claims

A lot of times people makes claims that they think are okay just because they are general. I am guilty of doing this all the time. This occurs when people use words like: all and none. According to Epstein claims with these phrases are not valid most of the time because it is hard to be completely sure that everything we are referring to applies. For example last night my friend Olivia said, “All girls like the color pink.” Well that was obviously not true because I myself know of three girls that really dislike the color pink. But less obvious examples happen all the time too. My friend Alex and I were discussing a group of people in our class that never show up and when they do they play games on their computers the whole time or talk and be disruptive. Last week after class Alex said, “Not one of those guys is passing this course, they should just drop.” At the time I just kind of ignored the comment but now I realize that his claim was not valid because there is no way he can be sure that not one of the five people have at least a “C” in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment