Saturday, November 13, 2010

Inductive vs. deductive


I often forget and get confused on the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning, so I decided to do more research to help me remember. Deductive reasoning involves moving from the general to the specifics. While inductive reasoning takes specific statements and tries to generalize them.  An example of deductive reasoning would be:
·      Premise 1: All college students go to school.
·      Premise 2:I go to school.
·      Conclusion: I am a college student.
An example of inductive reasoning would be:
·      Premise: All cows I have seen have spots.
·      Conclusion: All cows must have spots.
Just because someone uses inductive or deductive reasoning does make their argument true. In my last example just because all cows I have seen have spots does not mean the all cows must have spots. In fact there are lots of cows without spots. An in my deductive reasoning example just because I go to school does not always mean I am in college.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-inductive-and-deductive-reasoning.htm

3 comments:

  1. I liked your topic of inductive reasoning and I chose the same one as well because I was slightly confused on how they differ. I like your example of deductive and how you showed a variable relationship. If A, then B. I am A. So I am B. Then of course inductive is the opposite, so we base our reasoning off observations. Your observation was seen with cows. Another example could be anything such as, all birds I have seen can fly. So all birds must fly. Although this isn’t necessarily true it is still an example of inductive reasoning. Great post keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about Inductive Reasoning for my post because I thought it was more confusing while deductive reasoning was straight forward. Your example for inductive reasoning was understandable because I thought it related with what I wrote in my blog. I wrote something about inductive reasoning being a 'pattern' of observed premises rather than existing premises. The cow with spots was a good example because you are basically trying to predict that all cows have spots because you have seen every cow has spots. However, like you mentioned, it's not always true. There are cows that do not have spots. Some are just brown or black with no spots at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post was very helpful because I was also a bit confused on how deductive and inductive differed. Both of the reasonings are used in daily lives and now I see how often they are actually used. I really liked how you defined both of them because other definitions I read did not make any sense to me. I like how you also related the both because I thought they were completely different. Though the reasoning of both and the process of the reasoning are totally different. Many philosophers used these kinds of reasonings to make claims. The examples you used were also very helpful.

    ReplyDelete