Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Strong Vs. Valid arguments

An argument is strong when it is possible to have a true premise but a false conclusion. In a strong argument a person would evaluate the strength depending on the likelihood of the argument to occur. Whereas in a valid argument there is no way to have a true premise and a false conclusion. Unlike strong arguments there is no judgment involved.


Valid Argument-All zebras have stripes on them.
So the Zebras at the San Diego zoo have stripes on them.
Because it is a fact that all zebras have stripes this premise nor the conclusion could be false unless tomorrow scientist create a new breed of zebras.

Strong Argument-All standard sized prints I have seen people order from Walgreens come sized 4x6.
So unless I specify what size prints I want my photos will be developed 4x6.
This argument is strong because I have ordered photos from Walgreens before and unless I specified otherwise the photos would be developed 4x6. However it might not necessarily be valid because I have not ordered photos from every Walgreens in the United States so I don’t know if somewhere in Kansas the standard print size is different.

1 comment:

  1. Hi MichSim,
    I like your examples for valid vs. strong arguments. I am from San Diego so I like your San Diego Zoo example :) Haha. It is true that if the premise is true such as your "all zebras have stripes on them" than the conclusion must be true as well. Because the premise is true that means that the conclusion "so the zebras at the San Diego Zoo have stripes on them" has to be true as well. Also, you posed an interesting example for a strong argument. Just because the prints come in 4x6 at a few particular Walgreens is does not mean that this is true for all of California or the United States. Good job!

    ReplyDelete